Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gazer75

Little translation help

Hi,

I have been trying to read airport information from http://www.aviapages.ru

Have been able to understand what I need for most of it.

The following lines in runway info I don't understand:

ССО Луч и М-2
ССО ОМИ

Луч translates into "ray" so I assume its something to do with lights, but what exactly? What is M-2?

ОМИ is OMI, but what kind of light is that?

Guess some of these google translations are a bit off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

This is an abbreviations for Soviet approach light systems.

ССО (СветоСигнальное Оборудование) can be translated as "Signalling Lights System"

ОМИ (Огни Малой Интенсивности) can be translated as "Small Intensity Lights"

Луч and М-2 are different signalling lights systems

Thank you Alexander

Would you be able to make a list of these abbreviated systems that Aviapages.ru is using and what they would mean in FS terms.

What I am interested in is to know what kind of lights I should use in my creation of airports using ADE9. Need information on edge, center and approach lights.

Like what would it say if runway have medium or high intensity lights?

Луч and М-2 are different signaling lights systems

What kind of lights? What would I use in FS? I'm guessing some of the lights mentioned might be talking about PAPI, VASI or maybe even PVASI ?

What is Грунт ? Google translate it to "Grunt" LOL. I am guessing its Gravel runway it supposed to be?

I have also seen pavement type translated into "Ground" with google. Would that be grass?

Thank you

Well...

The easiest question is the translation of "ГРУНТ" (GROONT - is, for my opinion, the best pronocounce for this word). It means "ground surface", without any artificial covering. Mostly it means grass-covered runways, aprons etc.

Now, let's go to approach light systems. All "ОМИ" (can be spelled as O-M-E) systems have no ICAO analogs. M-2 system was developed in 1965, "Луч-2" (can be spelled as "LooCH") was used starting from 1989. All these systems were designed for local airports, not intended for international traffic, so no ICAO standards was used.

So, I suppose, you can use PAPI system without lights on the runway centerline, with border lights and approach lights only. Not exact, but, for my opinion, sufficient representation.

All "ОМИ" (can be spelled as O-M-E) systems have no ICAO analogs. M-2 system was developed in 1965, "Луч-2" (can be spelled as "LooCH") was used starting from 1989. All these systems were designed for local airports, not intended for international traffic, so no ICAO standards was used.

Ok, this I understand, but...

You say Огни Малой Интенсивности (ОМИ) is low intensity lights...are we talking about the runway edge lights here? If so what would it say if it is medium- or high intensity?

Looking around on the site I found ВПП-09: ОВИ-1, ВПП-27:ОМИ. Trying some translations I found Огни высокой интенсивности that could be ОВИ-1. So high intensity lights of some kind right?

As there is difference between runways I guess these are approach lights and not the runway edge?

M-2 and "Луч-2", what are they? approach or vasi type lighting?

I've also seen M-1 mentioned on some. What is the difference?

If these are indeed vasi lights then remember there are 13 types of vasi in FS to choose from :lol:

Pictures of different Russian approach and vasi lights would help a lot.

Thank you for your help so far

Sorry, but those questions are far from my knowledge. All information I have is two books in Russian, may be somebody will give a hand?

Hi, gazer75.

When you see words like "Луч-2", know that this is a name for a "big system". There were a lot of them - "Луч-1", "Луч4МС", "Луч-7-2". Every system like "Луч" consists of sets like electric dizel power station, horizon lights - огни горизонта, approach lights - огни подхода/огни приближения, range lights - боковые огни, cables, cars and so on.

For example: "Луч-7-2" looks like

http://www.projektor.ru/beam7_2.htm

"Луч4МС" looks like

http://www.projektor.ru/beam4ms.htm

For every set there are elements like

http://www.projektor.ru/aerolights(krug_obz).htm

!!!!!!!: For detales and specification about Луч, ОВИ e.t.c. look here (its in Russian, but pictures can give you clear-cut explanations) please.

http://training.unnt.ru/files/obsch_razdel/9.pdf

Looking around on the site I found ВПП-09: ОВИ-1, ВПП-27:ОМИ. Trying some translations I found Огни высокой интенсивности that could be ОВИ-1. So high intensity lights of some kind right?

As there is difference between runways I guess these are approach lights and not the runway edge?

When it is written for runways (ВПП means runway) it means HIRL - High intensity runway lights.

If it is written about approach, it is for HIALS - High intensity approach lighting system.

Вoth of them arе ОВИ or ОМИ. Think ОВИ (LIH - Light intensity high) or ОМИ (LIL - Light intensity low) like categories, something like CATI and CATII.

In your example above RW09 has ОВИ, and RW27 has ОМИ; most likely they mean HIALS.

Medium lights are "ОСИ" - LIM Light intensity medium - Огни средней интенсивности.