MarcoVr

Italian Pilot Info

7 posts in this topic

Hello to every member of this forum,

My name is Marco and I'm an Italian professional airline pilot. After work one of my greatest passions is to fly with ultralight. I found this forum because I'm searching informations about the possibility to fly VFR low altitude with an ultralight from Italy to and throught Russia! I mean a REAL FLIGHT.

So can someone help me with this dream! Does anybody knows where I can find Vfr charts of Russia? Do you know the website of some ultralight clubs in Russia? I need info also about permission to fly, any requirements etc...

Thank You so much for your Help!

Bye

Marco

Hello!

As I know, there are a some difficulties with VFR flights in Russia nowadays

You can also get more information about it from the pilots

Good luck!

Hi Marco,

As far as I know, there are quite a few enthusiasts in Europe willing to complete such a trip, but I don't know if they were successful. From the purely technical viewpoint, such a flight is not impossible at all. However, there are several aspects you must take into account while planning such a flight. Firstly, the border control and the customs processing. This is a real pain in Russia and can consume lots of time, money, effort, and nerves to complete. Not many small airports here have an on-request customs office, if any. On the other hand, flying to a major international airport, while can solve the problem, can be darn costly. Secondly, while such issues as fuel present no problem, as an ultralight, I presume, can run on mogas, which is readily available at any automotive gas station, other issues, like putting a flight plan across or getting proper ATC service in such an airport can get you into trouble as not so many controllers in major airports really know how to deal with a VFR+low+slow+small aircraft. Thirdly, in rural areas another problem is that not so many controllers, if any, are really able to provide service in English. Especially, for an aircraft in distress. Yes, they are said they are and they must, but the reality is different. Not to say about other services. Then yet another problem is that, as far as I know, the European and the Russian VFR rules differ, while not a lot, but in such a way that prevents European VFR pilots from flying in Russia by VFR legally, and an ultralight is a vehicle that is, in my opinion, not the one you want to put a Mode-C transponder and a full IFR suite on just in order to have proper IFR certification. Although I may be mistaken on this one and this requires further investigation.

Anyway, let it not be taken as an advert, but to give a piece of advice, you are more likely to find better answers at the saon.ru website, which is, as far as I'm aware of, is the ultimate place for all the Russian GA pilots to gather. The other organization that is probably worth paying attention to is Chelavia in Moscow.

And about the VFR charts. Well, we are kinda savageous in this respect  :sarcastic: I mean, the availability. You can try fpln.ru to start with. There is an interactive google-like map with airspace and airports overlays, but, unfortunately, it is all in Russian and you have to enable the overlays first. But if you manage to find your way through, it can be used to create flight plans. If you want some paper ones, try this publisher. Try to e-mail them first, though.

And here are some more links for you:

http://www.aviadocs.net/aip.html

http://www.caiga.ru/products.php?lang=en

Hi Marco!

This time take your ultralight, fly through the Europe, from the last airfield in Europe take a commercial flight to Russia, in Russia take a 2-seater ultralight with a russian pilot:) in Russia russian ultralight pilots can brief you about flights in russian airspace and next time you can fly through Russia yourself in your ultralight:)

You can find some pilots here, I think. You just need somebody to help you with translatiion.

Edited by Tory

Dear Marco,

Please let me also suggest to use and follow the great experience of Mathias Rust who made the first (and I suppose the last one) very successful VFR flight to and through Russia in 1987. You will find on-request customs office in the regular place on the Sheremetyevo-3 airfield (VFR only). For any re(in)quests of local authorities after landing please refer them to this very topic on the fora.

I believe Rust's flight plan still interesting and since we are talking on simmers fora I can't help but to mention a special issue of the wonderful scenery for subLOGIC Flight Simulator II, Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0 and 2.x which includes a challenge to repeat Mathias Rust's flight and landing. You'll find it here.

Hope this helps.

PS To put it plain and simple GA is virtually nonexistent in this country (as only very few can afford it) and hence so are VFR flights.

Edited by yoyo

Thank you so much for the infos!

I have watched http://fpln.ruand now I star to understand better the Russian airspaces. The flight could be possible! Now I try to contact Chelavia ! 

Thank you so much, let's see if, thanks also to this starting infos, I can fly to Russia!!

Check the magazine "Pravda", may be I will land in the red Square... :(  Jokes  :)

In case I will decide to go, I will keep you updated. May be I could meet some of you and drink a vodka toghether!

Ciao

Marco