Volgograd International Airport (IATA: VOG, ICAO: URWW) is an airport located 15 km northwest of the city of Volgograd in Russia. It comprises a civilian airport built on top of an older military runway (3300 m), now demolished. The terminal area parks 42 medium/large aircraft and 91 small aircraft.
A military training unit was present at Gumrak as late as 1994, the 706 UAP (706th Aviation Training Regiment), using Aero L-39 aircraft. However a more recent report puts 706 UAP at Beketovsk until 1997. Volgograd Airport served as base for Air Volga. When the airline went bankrupt in April 2010, its aircraft and most of the routes were taken over by RusLine.
In 2012 it was announced that Volgograd airport would have a new terminal and runway built which would bring the airport up to European standards, it is currently being built and will be complete sometime in 2017
The airport, then named Gumrak Airport, was used by the German 6th Army as fuel and supply depot (alongside with Pitomnik Airfield) during the Battle of Stalingrad in 1942/43. After the fall of Pitomnik on 17 January 1943, Gumrak was the only one of seven airfields around Stalingrad still in German hands. On 22 January, a last He 111 aircraft left the airfield with 19 wounded soldiers, the last flight out of Stalingrad for the 6th Army. Gumrak eventually was recaptured by the 293rd Rifle Division on 23 January, leaving the 6th Army without any means of direct support.
Help us with this scenery good guys from X-Air, http://x-airways.ru